Duke Memorial is committed to being a community where people of all ages grow in their knowledge and trust of God through Jesus Christ. Our adult ministries allow individuals to connect with God and others through friendship, study, service, and prayer. There’s a place for everyone!
Summer Small Groups
Thursday Evening Downtown Group
Leaders: Tyler and Beverly Christian
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Location: We meet at Fullsteam Brewery (726 Rigsbee Ave; Durham, NC 27701). This group is focused on extending the church outside of our walls and down the street into the heart of downtown Durham. As Durham’s revitalization attracts more young professionals and families, this is an opportunity for Duke Memorial to reach out to that audience and be a witness to God right down the road.
Friday Morning JJ Henderson “not so small” Bible Study Group
Leaders: Don Underwood, Sarah Martindell, and Jerry Smith
Support Group: Barbara & Bill Self, Doris Brown, and Ann Smith
Time: 10:00-11:30 a.m.
Location: JJ Henderson Housing Center Auditorium (807 S. Duke Street; Durham, NC 27701)
SUNDAY MORNING GROUPS – 9:45-10:45
For summer Sunday School (June 22 – August 24, 2014), we’re combining several classes into one intergenerational group. Everyone is welcome, from youth to senior adults! We’ll meet in the Bradshaw Room, across from the parlor. Topics and teachers will rotate throughout the summer.
Other important summer dates for Sunday School:
June 15: No Sunday School. Instead, fro 9:30-10:30, we’ll have a church-wide breakfast in Whitford Hall as we celebrate the ministry of our interim pastor, Bishop Will Willimon.
July 6 & 13: During the Sunday School hour (9:45-10:45), everyone is invited to meet-’n’-greet our new pastor, Rev. Heather Rodrigues.
August 17: No Sunday School. On this special day, we’ll have Worship in the Woods at Camp Chestnut Ridge. A bus to the camp will leave church at 10 a.m. Worship in the Woods begins at 11. For folks who prefer to stay here, a traditional worship service will take place at 10:55 in the sanctuary.
For more information, contact Sarah Martindell, Duke Divinity School intern, at SLMartindell@gmail.com or 740-525-8391.
Other Sunday morning groups for summer 2014:
Crosstalk – The Crosstalk class meets in the Katie Johnson Room (middle level, Education Building) for conversation about a wide range of subjects. For the summer season, we will do “shorties” – one- to two-week studies on a short book or section of Scripture, study of a concept of interest, or a look at a current event with religious significance. For more info., contact Marge Clark: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Martha – This class meets only on the first Sunday of the month in the Lullaby Room. For more info., contact Nadine Hoover: email@example.com
Open Door – This class meets in the Open Door room (top floor of the education building) and plans to continue its mixed routine of the International Sunday School lesson, instructional videos focusing on Scripture and early church history, and other interesting topics. Leaders include Linda Adkinson, Lloyd Bailey, Ed Hammond, and Maurice Ritchie. For more info., contact Linda Adkinson: firstname.lastname@example.org
We have a variety of fellowship groups at Duke Memorial.
- Singles - This group is for single adults and has monthly meetings and outings. For more info., contact John Lentz: email@example.com
- Prime-timers – This older adult group meets on the first Wednesday of the month, except during the summer. Our last meeting for this season will be on June 4, and we will resume our meetings on October 1. We meet in Whitford Hall at the church starting at 11:30 a.m. We have a nice covered dish lunch, and then enjoy a variety of speakers. For more info., contact Alan Whanger: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joy Club -This group of older adults takes monthly day trips. For more info., contact Ann Stallings Smith: email@example.com
- Circle 8 – This group of women meets monthly to discuss issues of discipleship and service.
- Wednesday Women’s Group – This group welcomes women of all ages. We meet from 9:30 – 11 a.m. in the Soul Cafe at the church. For more info., contact Karalyn Colopy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday Study & Service Group – We meet Thursdays from 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., and on the first Thursday of the month we visit homebound members. For more info., contact Edith Toms: email@example.com